Los Angeles Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Fight for Your Benefits
Specialized law firm helps you file and appeal your claim
The workers’ compensation system is an important safety net for employees who are hurt on the job and unable to work. Unfortunately, many legitimately injured workers have their claims denied, exposing them to financial hardship. Many workers are unaware of their rights and don’t know where to turn. At Goldschmid, Silver & Spindel, our attorneys understand your frustration and anxiety, and we have the specialized experience to help.
Your rights under California’s workers’ compensation law
Under state law, employees are entitled to benefits when they suffer a work-related injury. Depending on the severity of the injury, these benefits may include:
- Medical care
- Temporary disability payments
- Permanent disability payments
- Life pension
- Supplemental job displacement payments
- Death benefits
Goldschmid, Silver & Spindel is committed to getting you the full benefits to which you’re entitled.
How to know if you’re covered for your injury
Problems with claims can arise when the employer asserts that the worker:
- Is not an employee — Only employees of the company are covered, not contractors. This often leads to disputes over whether an employee has been misclassified.
- Did not sustain a work-related injury — To qualify, your injury must occur “in the course of employment” and must “arise out of employment.” Essentially, you must be engaged in some activity or task that benefits your employer. This is a fact-specific question that depends on the circumstances of your employment.
- Was not injured at all — Although it is true that fraud in the workers’ compensation program is a very real problem, it is also true that medical diagnostics cannot prove or disprove many painful conditions. Credible witness testimony can convince the Division of Workers’ Compensation to approve your claim.
If you’ve been denied for these, or any other reasons, our determined lawyers may be able to help.
Getting an accurate assessment of a disabling injury
If you have sustained an injury that is permanently disabling, it is critical that you get an accurate disability rating. The amount of earnings compensation you receive is based on your disability rating, which ranges from partial to total. We have managed cases involving disabling injuries, such as:
- Environmental injuries
- Wear and tear injuries
- Cumulative trauma
- Occupational disease
- Brain injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
Our firm asserts your right to good medical care. If you disagree with the treatment plan from your primary treating physician or medical provider network, you are entitled to second and third opinions. If you disagree with your doctor clearing you to return to work or issuing a low rating for a permanent disability, we make sure you see a qualified medical examiner. Getting proper medical care and an accurate disability rating can be a complicated process, but we stand by our clients at every stage of the process. We have presented successful appeals at all levels, from the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board to the California Court of Appeals and even the California Supreme Court.
Whether you are suffering from overexertion due to heavy lifting, have injured your back in a fall, or have developed carpal tunnel syndrome, our firm is here to help you. But please be aware: you have only 30 days to notify your employer of your injury or illness, and you must file your claim within one year.
Contact our creative workers’ compensation law firm in Los Angeles
A denial of your workers’ compensation claim can be disastrous for you and your family. Goldschmid, Silver & Spindel has been handling appeals successfully for more than 40 years, and we charge no upfront legal fees. To learn more, schedule a free consultation by calling 213-251-5900 or contacting our Los Angeles office online.